Aristotle, the famous scientist and Greek philosopher, once said "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence , therefore, is not an act, but a habit." The habits we all have in our lives will either help us lead a healthy, successful life, or continue to hold us back. The worst habits are those we aren't even aware of. If you don't know there is a problem, it's hard to fix it.
When it comes to your health, good habits are the building blocks to a healthy life. We are all human, and none of us are perfect, but having a solid foundation is vital to our long term health.
Here are 5 Health Habits that will help develop a rock solid foundation:
1. Eat Whole Foods: If it comes in a box, it probably is not good for you. The vast majority of your daily food intake should come from fresh, whole food products. This includes vegetables, fruit, lean meat, and healthy fats. Also, keep sugar consumption to a minimum and don't drink your calories.
2. Exercise Regularly: Make it a point to move your body in the form of exercise everyday. All it takes is 30 minutes. It is easy to make excuses why you don't have time, but we all have 30 minutes we can carve into our daily schedule. Stop making excuses. Once you make it a habit, you will actually look forward to it.
3. Get Your Spine and Nervous System Checked Regularly: The patients I see who are the healthiest, and do the best with chiropractic care, are on a routine of coming at a specific time and day. Don't play the pain game and wait until something hurts. Stay well adjusted on a regular and consistent basis.
4. Develop a Consistent Sleep Schedule: Sleep is vital for the health of our body. This is the time when your body will recover, heal, and reset. Developing a consistent pre-sleep routine will help you fall asleep faster and get more quality rest. Try going to bed and waking at nearly the same time every day. Getting 7-9 hours of quality sleep is ideal.
5. Take Responsibility for Your Health: The status of your health today is a result of the choices you have made to this point. We are not victims. Take the attitude that your health is in your hands moving forward . Allowing yourself to feel helpless will cause you to fall victim to bad habits, and poor health. You are in control of your health destiny.
The time is now to start new habits. Will it be easy? No. If it was, everyone would exchange their bad habits for good ones. Don't overwhelm yourself with the big picture of massive change. Stay in the moment and focus on what you are doing at this very moment to make your life better. B.J. Palmer, the Developer of Chiropractic, once said "Success is in the climb. But don't ever lose sight of your vision and your purpose." Stay focused and in the present, but keep your eye on the goal.